What are you Worth?

5:02 PM

When I first started selling cookies, I charged $18 a dozen.  Yep, you read that right!  $18 for 12 cookies that took me an eternity to make.  Would it shock you if I told you, even now, I think that was a fair price?  (Keep reading, I promise I'll explain)

When I first started making and selling cookies, I had all sorts of technical difficulties.  Icing bleed, sloppy writing, piping that broke, unoriginal designs, uneven thick cookies...and on and on and on.  I started selling cookies before I even knew what I was doing.  I was so thrilled with my first creations that I was ALL IN!

Fast forward a few years, and a ton of learning.  I look back at my cookie journey and I'm proud of where I have come from.  When I first started, I wasn't worth what I charge today.  I see so many new cookie bakers enter the world of selling and expecting to charge high prices for their work, and struggling to find customers.  I see local bakers posting on buy/sell/trade sites with prices even lower than $18!!!   I am NOT even criticizing the beginner at all!  I was THAT baker! But looking back at my beginner cookies, even though I was slaving over them for a stupid amount of time, they were worth a measly $18 (in my opinion)! The question is, what are they worth?

On the flip side....are you creating amazing cookies and not selling them for what you are actually worth?  Do you feel guilty charging THAT much?  Are you a people pleaser? I SO get it.  I'm still somewhat of that baker.  Insert eye roll at myself.  I LOVE creating cookies and being a part of peoples events, I probably don't charge as much as I should.  I'm still learning and pep talking myself daily!

Side Note: If you are a beginner, don't give up!!!  Don't think that it'll never become easier.  Don't talk yourself out of trying something new that might work better for you! And I promise you (speaking as someone who went through it all), that with practice you will get better and you will be worth SO much more than $18!


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Magnificent example of skill! I adore you and your cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is my time and talent worth? Lots of things to think about!! Thanks for the inspiring blog.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Search This Blog